SR 20/North Cascades Highway to close Friday, Nov. 10
- Written by Jeff Adamson, WSDOT
- Hits: 279
More snow and avalanche risk triggers seasonal closure between Newhalem and Winthrop
DIABLO – The final page will soon turn on State Route 20/North Cascades Highway this year. The winter gates will close at 4 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10 due to avalanche risk, and there will be one less route for vehicles crossing the Cascade Mountains.
Washington State Department of Transportation crews have plowed SR 20 between the gates at mileposts 134 near Diablo and 171 west of Mazama since snow began falling in early October. But, new snow has continued to fill avalanche chutes. The forecast for more this weekend makes it too dangerous for our crews to work or the public to drive below full avalanche zones.
“We know this route is popular for access to businesses, relatives and outdoor adventures said WSDOT Twisp Maintenance Supervisor Don Becker. “Our crews work hard to keep it open through the Thanksgiving weekend, but this year it isn’t possible due to the amount of snow in the forecast.”
The highway temporarily closed twice in the last three weeks due to snow accumulation in avalanche chutes.
This year’s closure is a week or so earlier than typical. Last year, the North Cascades Highway closed on November 18. The only time the highway remained open through the winter was in 1976, when a drought produced record-low snowfall.
Winter access along the highway
Snowmobilers, hikers, skiers and other winter adventurers are free to use the roadway behind the gates, but they do so at their own risk.
Starting the 2018 chapter
When conditions permit, crews will reopen the highway in spring 2018. Clearing the 37-mile-long mountain pass highway requires crews working from both sides for roughly four to six weeks.
Enjoy Early Bird Pricing for Lake Chelan Winterfest!
- Written by Olivia Plew, LCCC
- Hits: 282
Manson Parks AAU Basketball signups are open
- Written by Robin Pittman
- Hits: 281
Registration is open for Manson Parks AAU Basketball!
Kids in Kindergarten through 6th grade are encouraged to participate.
Cost of registration is $15 and all athletes must have a current AAU Card ($14; no need to pay again if they played 2017 AAU Soccer).
Students or parents can bring their forms to the Park Office at 142 Pedoi Street in Manson from 10am to 2pm on Tuesday (11/7/17) or from 10am to 6pm on Wednesday (11/8/17).
You can also register online at www.mansonparks.com.
Manson Parks Regular Board Meeting 11-9-17
- Written by Robin Pittman
- Hits: 307
Regular Board Meeting
142 Pedoi St., Bumgarner Building, November 9, 2017, 4:10pm
I. Call to Order
II. Flag Salute
III. Agenda Additions & Deletions
IV. Public Comment/Questions
V. Approval of Minutes
a. October 12, 2017 Regular Meeting minutes
VI. Financial Review
a. Review Monthly Financial Reports
b. Review and Approve Monthly Voucher
VII. Old Business
a. 2018 Budget
b. Director’s report
VIII. New Business
a. Blackwatch Security contract
b. Resolution 2017-03 (Authorization for 2018 Tax Levy Increase)
c. December meeting date
d. Levy Election
Next Regular Meeting: December 14th, 2017 at 4:10pm, 142 Pedoi St., Bumgarner Building
Chelan Fire and Rescue Special Meeting 11-8-17
- Written by Carol A. Kibler, CFR
- Hits: 264
Chelan Fire and Rescue
Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 4:00 P.M.
232 East Wapato, Chelan, WA
Proposed Chelan Fire and Rescue agenda pending Board approval.
Regular Meeting Call to Order:
* Revenue and Expenditure Report: September 2017
* Payroll: $193,932.36 October 1-31, 2017 Paid 11-05-2017
* Vouchers for October General Account: Vouchers #1122 through #1131 for $5,751.94; Voucher #1218 through #1233 for $12,157.14; Voucher #1261 through #1269 for $2,216.15; Vouchers #1276 through #1285 for $7,386.09.
* Vouchers for October Capital Account: Vouchers #1132 for $2,153.18; Voucher #1270 for $16,554.60; Vouchers #1286 through #1282 for $17,635.21.
* Minutes: October 11, 2017
Fire Chief Report:
* 2017 Budget Expense Report
* 2017 Goal and Objectives
* Personnel (Career/Volunteer)
* Facilities/Apparatus and Equipment
* Emergency Response Report
* Public Education
* Fire Prevention
Firefighters Association Report:
* Citizens Task Force
* 2018 Budget
* 2017- 05 Resolution 2018 Levy & Certificate
* Marine / Water Rescue Response Up-date
* Annexation Proposals Up-Date
* FEMA SAFER Grant for Volunteer Coordinator for four years
* Apparatus Committee - Specifications for pickup & Engine
* 11/11/17: Veteran’s Day parade and luncheon
* 11/24/17: Tree Lighting Ceremony
* 12/12/17: Annual District Holiday Social
Executive Session: RCW 42.30.110(1)(f) To evaluate the qualifications of an applicant for public employment or to review the performance of a public employee.
Page 13 of 78