As the warm spring weather draws people to our local waters, The Chelan County Sheriff’s Office would like to remind everyone that our local waters can be dangerous this time of year. The water can be high, swift and cold as mountain snowpack melts, making hypothermia a real risk.
River users are encouraged to take safety precautions when recreating in rivers. Here are a few tips to stay safe:
- Wear a PFD (personal flotation device).
- Do not use alcohol or drugs when recreating on the river.
- Watch children closely when they are on or near any type of water; stay close enough to reach them immediately.
When planning a boating or floating trip:
- Always tell someone your route and when and where you plan to put in or take out.
- Never float the river alone.
- Bring a dry bag with food, water, and warm clothes.
Even the best water enthusiasts can misjudge changing water conditions when boating or swimming in open water. Be prepared at all times by wearing a life jacket – you never know when you’ll be tossed in the water.