toaster fireAt 6:38 AM on 5/17/19, Chelan Fire & Rescue responded to a structure fire in the 100 block of S. Robinson Street. The homeowner called 9-1-1 and reported that smoke was filling the house and that all occupants had been evacuated.

When firefighters arrived they located an older model toaster that had malfunctioned and was the cause of the smoke. It was quickly removed from the residence and firefighters cleared the smoke from the residence and turned the property back over the homeowner. Nno further damage to the residence was reported.

Chelan Fire & Rescue would like to remind everyone that even though an appliance is not in use it can malfunction and potentially become a fire hazard. It is recommended that residents unplug small appliances when not in use as an important step in reducing the risk of a fire starting in your home.

Firefighters also discovered there were outdated and non-working smoke alarms in the residence. Fire & Rescue personnel checked all other smoke alarms and replaced those that were not working.

Smoke alarms save lives by providing early warning when a fire starts. All residents are encouraged to install, test and maintain their smoke alarms.

Add comment


Security code
Refresh