With considerable regret, the Foundation Board has voted to cancel this year's Square Dance at the Orchard.
With restrictions in place for controlling Covid-19, there are a number of entities, other than our organization, that impact our ability to hold events. In making this decision, we conferred with the National Park Service and our insurance broker, and reviewed the Washington Phased Approach to Reopening, as well as the cancellation policies of lodging establishments in Stehekin, with the following results:
- The NPS North Cascades Complex is currently closed, and reopening is unknown as to when or to what degree. (The Buckner Orchard is a National Park Service Property.)
- Chelan County is currently in Phase I of reopening and could possibly move to Phase II in June.
- Phase Four is necessary for events of this size (>50 people) to occur, and its questionable we will be there by August 1.
- Our special use permit for the event, if we're not at Phase Four, will be canceled.
- Our insurance coverage for the event, which WILL NOT cover anything Covid-1 related.
- Square dancing is literally the antithesis of social distancing.
- Cancellation should be made in a timely fashion so as to allow the band and others adequate time to cancel reservations at Stehekin lodgings and rentals, should they choose to do so.
- Appropriate timing of the cancellation will allow Stehekin businesses more time to re-book the vacated rooms.
- Organizational liability is of concern.
Harvest Fest will need to be dealt with at a later date, as circumstances closer to the October event unfold. This decision will likely need to be made in mid-August.